The Q&A Archives: Preparing the Soil for a Vegetable Garden

Question: I have recently tested the soil in my vegetable garden and the results were: pH 7.0, N depleted, P sufficient, K deficient. My garden is approxiametly 200 sq. ft. What do you suggest I do to my soil before planting my first crop? I am a beginner at this so that is why I am requesting your help. Can you please also tell how I should care for each of the following vegetables throughout the season!! Tomato, sweet peppers, bush bean, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, green onions, radishes, and carrots? Thank you for all the help you can give me; I really appreciate it! Jason Jacobs North Ridgeville, OH P.S. I bought my seeds and supplies from your company!

Answer: It's great you're doing a soil test. That's a good place to start. You'll need to boost your potassium and nitrogen levels by adding compost or composted manures to your garden this spring. A 2" to 3" deep layer over the whole garden and till it in. This should help. Also, add greensand or Muriate of potash to elevate the potasium levels. When you plant your vegetables add some cottonseed meal or blood meal to help with the nitrogen levels. Sidedress the nitrogen fertilizer (about one handful per transplant) again at flowering. This is important for the tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and cucumbers. The peas and beans don't need extra nitrogen and the carrots and radishes will love the potassium fertilizer. Your pH at 7.0 is a bithigh, but okay for Ohio. I hope this helps.