The Q&A Archives: Butterfly Bush Variety

Question: I am curious as to which of the varieties of the butterfly bushes in the '99 catalog is the "Ellen" variety? I know it is one of the dwarf ones and is purple but wasn't sure if it is the Lochinch or the Nanho Purple? Can you tell me which?

Answer: There are many varieties of buddleia, but this year the named varieties Burpee offers are "Lochinch" which is described as a compact plant with purply blue blooms, and "Nanho Purple" which has a lovely darker purple bloom and is a smaller plant as well, and of course, "Pink Delight" which is a popular pink form. Perhaps one of these will do; if you are looking for truly purple blooms, then "Nanho Purple" is most probably the one you need. Enjoy your buddleia!