The Q&A Archives: Bluebonnets

Question: I know that bluebonnet seed is typically planted in the fall. However, I want to know if they can be planted in late spring to mimic the time in which the plants naturally drop their seed. I would think that the longer time spent in the soil would allow them to germinate without freezing them and then immersing them in hot water. What do you think?

Answer: You can plant them when they drop seed in spring, but they won't germinate until later in the fall. Many of the seeds, as in nature, will end up buried too deep washed away or will fail to germinate until perhaps the second or third fall.

Another option if you are only planting a few plants is to purchase or grow you own transplants and set them out in winter to early spring.

Thanks for the question!