The Q&A Archives: Insects on Tomato Plants

Question: I am presently growing tomato plants, and they have recently become infested by small black flying insects. These insects have also begun to spread to the surrounding areas. I had assumed that since these were being grown in doors, I would not have to worry about any infestation, but apparently I do and would like to eradicate them. What type of bugs are they (most likely)? What can I do to eradicate them from the plant and surrounding areas?

Answer: Since you have not described any actual plant damage, I suspect these are simply fungus gnats. These pesky insects multiply in the soil, especially when it is kept quite moist. One easy way to stop them is to put a thin layer of grit or sand on top of the soil so that the soil surface dries out quickly. You might also check to be sure you are not overwatering your plants.