The Q&A Archives: Mixing Annuals

Question: I have started seeds for salvia, cosmos (bright lights), dwarf marigolds and allysum. I was planning on planting them in a bed together until I noticed an answer in your FAQ database. Is it okay to mix these plants due to differences in water and soil requirements? I saw that Cosmos likes lean, dry soil. What about the others?

Answer: In my experience, they should be fine together as long as you have full sun. If your soil is very rich, simply omit extra fertilizer for the cosmos. Most annuals, including all these, do well in a well-prepared garden soil of at least average fertility, need about an inch or so of water a week from you or the sky, and appreciate a few inches of organic mulch. While cosmos will tolerate lean dry soil and will grow more foliage and fewer blooms in very rich soil or with excess nitrogen, it is usually happy in average flower beds.