The Q&A Archives: Blossoms But No Tomatoes

Question: This year we had a very hot summer. My tomato plants looked wonderful when everybody elses died. My problem was as big and beautiful as they were, they would get blossoms which would fall off, so we had no tomatoes. Could you help?

Answer: If your tomato plants developed blossoms but produced no fruit, it's likely that extremely hot weather rendered the pollen sterile. Temperatures over 100F degrees can kill pollen grains. Even if you tried to hand pollinate the flowers, you'd probably end up with no fruit in extremely hot temperatures. Try the heat-tolerant varieties next season, or hope for cooler weather! I'd suggest planting 'Big Beef', 'Sweet Tangerine', or 'Heatwave II' in your hot summer region.