The Q&A Archives: Shelford Hybrid Eremurus Seedlings

Question: I have successfully germinated a whole bunch of Eremurus Shelford Hybrids seeds. The seedlingas are now 2-3 inches high and they are in a south facing window (I do not have grow lights). Can you offer any special tips to bring these plants through, as they are not cheap to buy at the Garden Centres!

Answer: Congratulations! It's not easy to start Eremurus from seed! Are you also a patient gardener? I ask because Eremurus can take 6 years to blossom from seed.

While they're in the seedling stage, try to keep the air temperature between 10-15C, which helps them grow evenly. After danger of frost has passed, plant the seedlings in a nursery bed, and in late summer, you can transplant them to their permanent location, in deep (.5 m), rich, organic soil, in full sun. Hope this helps!