The Q&A Archives: Transplanting a Climbing Rose

Question: How and when do I transplant a climbing rose bush? It is very special to me and I do not want to kill it. Laura Buro Hopatcong, NJ

Answer: The best time to transplant your climbing rose is in the early spring when it is still dormant. Prepare the new site using a tapering, curve-blade spade (its shape carves out neat cylindrical holes). Make the hole at least 18 inches wide and 18 inches deep to start...the final size will depend on the size of the root ball. Mix the soil you have removed with peat moss and fertilizer(bone meal is best) and return it to the hole to a level that will place the rose at the same depth it was previously. Using the same spade, make cuts in a circle around the rose approximately 1 to 1 1/2 ft. from the base. (If the soil is dry and tends to be loose, water the plant about a half hour before transplanting. This will insure that the root ball will not disintegrate). Place the plant with root ball on a tarp and carry it to the new location. Lower the plant into the new hole and check to see that it is at the same planting depth as before. Add soil and firm with your feet. Make a well around the edges of the hole. Using a gentle flow from a hose, fill the hole with water. When the water has disappeared, fill again and repeat this several times. Good Luck!