The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Gladiolus

Question: I live in the northwestern corner of Montana, where the growing season is very short. I was wondering if it is possible to start gladiola bulbs in the house, and transplant them later in the spring.

Answer: Glads might not like to be transplanted once they've begun to sprout foliage and grow roots, but there may be a way to get a jump-start on the season. Glad corms take from 70-100 days from planting to flowering. You could plant them in two-gallon or five-gallon nursery containers (set the corms 8" deep, and 6" apart), water well, and place the pots in an area that stays above freezing, such as a garage or unheated basement. When the outside weather remains above freezing, take the pots outdoors and bury them to the rims in the garden bed. The weeks they spent in the garage or basement can be counted as 'planting' time. Give this method a try and see if it works for you.