The Q&A Archives: Problems with Hydrangea

Question: I have a Hydrangea that buds and then blooms with deformed and incomplete flowers. I have fertilized it, moved it, watered it with no improvement. What am I doing wrong? I have a two Lilac bushes. One is the old variety. It doesn't bloom. It islocated in a grassy area. The other is a dwarf Japanese variety. It will bloom a little, then the new growth dries up and dies. Leaves, branches and all. Help! Rita Ponca City, OK

Answer: Your lilacs may need more sun or at least less competition from the grass to flower well. Remove the grass around the base and fertilizer with a high phosphorous fertilizer such as Triple superphosphate this spring. Hopefully that will help them grow better. Your hydrangea may have a fungal disease effecting the flower buds or an insect. Bring a sample to your local County Extension Office (362-3194) for them to identify if it happens again this spring.