The Q&A Archives: Would these plants and bushes survive?

Question: I am new to this area and am originally from back east. My favorite plants and shrubs are Wisteria, Lily of the Valley and Lilacs, particularly the "Butterfly Bush". I do not know what the zones are for Las Vegas, but could you tell me how these plants and shrubs would do in this climate or what may be comparable to the above for a flower garden?
Thank you for your trouble,

Answer: It's hard to leave behind your cherished garden favorites when you relocate, but then you have the adventure of finding new ones. Fortunately, there are species of both butterfly bush and lilac that will grow in the Las Vegas climate. Chinese lilac (Syringa chinensis) prefers mild winters and hot summers, and both Buddleia alternafolia and B. davidii are at home there, so long as they receive adequate moisture. Lily of the valley doesn't grow well there, but you can try forcing them indoors in winter.

Check out your local nurseries for planting stock best adapted to the conditions, speak with nurserypeople, and contact area Master Gardeners
for more expert information. Consider xeriscaping, or low-water gardening, too, to save on precious water. Enjoy gardening in your new home!