The Q&A Archives: Fertilizing a Bird of Paradise

Question: What type of fertilizer do I use on a Bird of Paradise and when should I apply it?

For best growth and flowering, Bird Of Paradise requires plenty of water during the growing season and moderate levels of fertilization.

According to the Florida Extension Service, "slow release, organic fertilizers, such as sewage sludge and bloodmeal, or a synthetic complete fertilizer with a 1-1-1 ratio of nutrients are effective.

Apply slow release, organic fertilizers at a rate of three to five pounds per 100 square feet of bed area and a balanced synthetic product at the rate of two pounds per 100 square feet of bed area.

Spread fertilizer around plants every three months during the growing season. Addition of minor elements may be needed if plants show deficiency symptoms.