The Q&A Archives: Vegetable Planting in South Caroloina

Question: I am a new homeowner and would like to start gardening (vegetables). I live in South Carolina and would like to know if there are any particular vegetables that it is too late in the season to plant? (ie tomatoes/cukes etc).

Answer: In South Carolina, don't try June-July plantings of beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, kale, lettuce, mustard, onions, parsnips, peas, potatoes, radishes, spinach, Swiss chard, and turnips. But in a couple of months, get ready to sow seeds of these for a fall crop. And don't expect anything from sowing seeds now of eggplant, peanuts, peppers, and tomatoes. But you might want to give a shot to beans, cowpeas (black-eyed, crowder), cucumbers, melons, pumpkins, squash, and New Zealand spinach.