The Q&A Archives: Perennial Flowers for Borders

Question: I have Happy Return' daylillies planted as a front border in an area about 30 feet wide. There are several plantings in the back of this border that include Hostas, Monarda, Holly bushes and some ornamental grasses. In the center of this grouping is a beautiful Katsura (sp?) tree. I would like to plant something else behind the daylillies, because I need something to fill the area in. I don't want to use anything in the yellow color family and don't want more daylillies. I prefer a perennial. Suggestions? Bonnie Leo Harrisburg, PA

Answer: Try the following: Russell hybrid lupines, dephiniums, peonies, columbine, Aster x frikartii. Dianthus, etc! Look on pages 16-23 of the Burpee catalog for more ideas!