The Q&A Archives: Vegetables to Grow in Bend, OR

Question: My mother just moved from Portland, OR to Bend, OR. She is used to having fresh lettuce, tomatoes, and other salad vegetables from her garden. She was asking me what she might be able to grow in her new garden location. Her home faces south, so her garden area is in the least sunny side of the property. Would it benefit to have a small greenhouse? Please advise. Sharon M. Young Mexia, TX

Answer: It's a bit colder and inclimate in Bend than Portland, but she can grow most all the same veggies. If the site gets less than 6 hours of direct sun, have her stick with lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, beans, carrots, radishes, beets and kale. The greenhouse would be nice to extend the season, but not essential unless she is REALLY an avid gardener!