The Q&A Archives: Easy Annuals

Question: I would like to plant flower plants in our yard, Please advise some plants which bloom for a longer time and what care we need to take for them. I am not sure if the plants planted in spring which last through summer are Annuals or perennials. We planted flower plants late and they did not do very well. I would appreciate if I am advised with the names of flower plants with information as to when to plant them?

Answer: Annuals are planted each spring, live and bloom until fall and then die when the weather turns cold. Some reliable annuals for all summer (and late summer) color include impatiens, coleus and caladium for shade and marigolds, zinnias, petunias, snapdragons, cosmos, gloriosa daisies and salvia for bright sunny spots. You can plant these soon after the last average frost date for your area, being sure to cover them at night if a late frost threatens. They will do best if you prepare the soil by adding organic matter such as compost or well rotted manure, water them deeply as needed to supply an inch of water a week, and keep them mulched with an organic mulch such as shredded bark. You might also fertilize them with a balanced fertilizer according to the package instructions. Enjoy your flower garden!