The Q&A Archives: Striped Squill

Question: I have just planted some striped squill bulbs in pots for my daughter. I want to put them in the best soil and sun that they need. I can not find any information on them . My daughter is 12 years of age and loves to garden with me. My friend gave her these bulbs because she fell in love with them in her yard, but I don't know how to care for them. Can you please help my daughter and I?

Answer: Striped Squill, or Scilla, prefer sun during bloom, but shady conditions otherwise. The plants will go dormant in the summertime, after blooming during the spring months. The leaves are strap-shaped and the flower clusters are bell-shaped with star-like blossoms. After the leaves yellow and wither naturally, repot the bulbs in fresh soil. Don't water until new growth appears. All parts of these plants are poisonous, so be cautious when handling them.