The Q&A Archives: Moving Perennials

Question: I am moving in late spring or early summer. Should I dig up and put in pots now to take with me then or wait and dig them up before we leave? We will be staying in this area.

Answer: For most plants, a quick transplanting move is much less stressful than being dug, potted, and then replanted. If you can do it, the best way to move your plants is to prepare the ground where you are going, then dig and move the plants straight from garden to garden, keeping them out of the ground for as little time as possible. In my experience the garden dug plants never seem to fit into pots, so plastic grocery bags work well as do cardboard boxes for temporary transit. Water them the day before you dig them and be sure to water them well after replanting. Be sure to keep them in the shade in the interim. Good luck with your move -- it's a lot of work!