The Q&A Archives: Gardening Journal

Question: How do I start writing a gardening journnal and what should be in it?

Answer: A gardening journal is really an individual thing, so you can include whatever you want. I will be happy to share with you what I have included in mine. I have sections for each part of the landscape: for example, there is a section called , "Perennial Border". When I started the border, I included all of the plant names, common and botanic, where I got them from, and a brief description. Each year, I note problems (pests, disease, things growing inappropriately, etc.) and good things about the plantings (great fragrance, didn't need staking, attracted wildlife, disease resistant, etc.). I note treatments I applied and how they worked. I record new installations each time I add something, and keep notes in each section of possible additions or things that aren't working well. At the end of the section, I have a few blank pages where I like to record things that have made me feel happy or joyful about the garden, such as, "saw 3 bluebirds today in the Highbush Cranberry bush, made the day worthwhile", or, "counted 16 butterflies on the Liatris this morning", etc. In a general section of the journal, I keep a "wish list", simply a listing of plants I read about or see on TV that I would like to include in my landscape. A gardening journal is a great personal resource for any gardener, and it is also interesting for gardeners of future generations. Good luck with yours!