The Q&A Archives: Super-fast Geminating Broccoli

Question: I started Green Goliath' broccoli indoors. The packet said 10-21 days to germinate, mine sprouted to 1/2 inch in 72 hours. Is this normal or is something going wrong? Also, I'm going to plant blueberries, do I need more than one type for cross polination? Please recommend types for eating not preserves. Scott K Pittsburgh, PA

Answer: You must have a green thumb. If the conditions are rights, germinating broccoli in 72 hours is not unheard of. You just must have the perfect soil, water and temperatures conditions. Keep them under lights for another 4 weeks and then look at setting them outside. Blueberries produce best when more than one variety is planted nearby. Try to select varieties that have about the same bloom time so the bees can work both plants around the same time.