The Q&A Archives: Planting Bleeding Heart Root

Question: I received a bleeding heart root from another company and never got to plant it. When and how do I plant it? It is packed in dry soil and I've had it over a year. Will it even grow after this length of time? There are no instructions on the box.

Answer: It sounds like you have a bare root plant packed in dry peat moss or a similar material. Dormant perennials need to be stored under certain conditions so I doubt it is still alive, but to plant it simply soak the roots in water for a few hours just before planting, prepare a planting hole, make a mounded cone of soil in the center and drape the roots over the cone so that the crown is near but under the surface. (On a live plant that has begun to sprout you would not bury the crown but instead plant it at the same level it grew at before.) Cover well, water in thoroughly, and wait. Dormant bare root plants can be planted as early in the spring as the ground can be worked and are allowed to awaken naturally.