The Q&A Archives: Grow lights on or off.

Question: I am going to be taking a trip out of town for 4 days and I was wondering if it is better to leave my grow lights
on for four days straight or to leave them off. I have some slightly mature onions and newly sprouted eggplant,
broccoli, cauliflower and impatiens. The window they are near does not receive any direct sun light, only what
comes in normally.

Also, when should onions, potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower be planted outside in my area?

Answer: If possible, you might consider putting your lights on a simple household timer or asking a friend to switch them on and off because seedlings grow so quickly that they suffer badly without light even for just a few days. Also, they will die if they are allowed to dry out, so you might need to ask someone to water them while you are away, too.

Potatoes can be planted outside in very early spring, and the broccoli, cauliflower and onions can be transplanted outside about 5 weeks before the last average frost date.