The Q&A Archives: Gooseneck Loosestrife (Lysimachia clethroides)

Question: In your spring issue of Home Gardener there is a photo that contains a plant I am trying to find. My Ortho book of perennials describe it as Lysimachia clethorides, or Gooseneck Loosestrife. My Sunset Garden book does not have a listing for that name. Is there another name that it is known by? It is a shrubby plant with white flower spikes that bend into an S shape (like a gooses' neck).

Answer: Although Gooseneck loosestrife (Lysimachia clethroides) has become more and more popular in the east over the last few years, it's yet to find a home in many gardens in the west (hence, no acknowledgement by Sunset). I know of no other name for it. It does have a somewhataggressive habit so it's not offered by everyone, even back here.