The Q&A Archives: American Redbud in Northeast

Question: I received a bareroot American redbud as a gift. I have planted it in a pot, waiting for the ground to thaw. Can it grow outdoors year 'round in central Pennsylvania?

Answer: The redbud (Cercis canadensis) is a beautiful small native tree (about 20 or 30 feet tall) and very hardy; it should do very well in your area in a spot with full sun or partial shade. If it is still dormant, you might want to set it outside in a sheltered spot and plant it as soon as you can so it can come out of dormancy naturally as the weather turns. If it has already leafed out, keep it in as bright a location as possible and be sure to acclimate it gradually to the outdoors before planting it when the weather moderates. Enjoy your tree!