The Q&A Archives: Lilac Hedges, Bushes

Question: Are lilac hedges that I have seen in some catologs the same as lilac bushes? The descriptions given in the catalogs sound exactly the same as regular lilac trees. I want to plant a hedge of lilacs around my front yard, and only want it to be about 3 to 4 feet tall, not 12 to 15 feet tall as is the description of the so-called lilac hedges. Are there any true lilac hedges that don't grow very tall? If there aren't any true hedges, can I take starts from the lilac bush I have and just use it as a hedge and keep it trimmed to the height I want, or will trimming the plant enough for a hedge damage it? Barbara Schaeffer Pocatello, ID

Answer: Yes, the lilac hedge you've read about is the same as the lilac bush or tree. Hedge just means they are planting these close together. You can transplant your own lilac suckers from the existing plant this spring and create your own hedge. Just keep it annually trimmed (after flowering) to the desired height and they should fill in well. You can also try the 'Miss Kim' lilac, which has slightly different flowers and leaves form the common lilac, but grows naturally much shorter.