The Q&A Archives: Blooming Time for Daffodils Planted Late

Question: It is almost spring here in MD and my "old" daffodils are up and starting to blossom. But I planted a lot of "new" daffodil bulbs late in the year (Nov/Dec) and it does not appear that they are coming up as of this time. Is that because I planted them late, or is it due to some other reason such as being newly planted in my flower beds. Thanks ahead of time for your help. Dave Vadden Frederick, MD

Answer: It is true that late planted spring bulbs will emerge and flower later than normal the first year. It's because they have to spend time growing the roots they didn't grow in fall being planted late. Have no fear, they should emerge as the weather warms and grow and flower fine. Just try to plant future bulbs a bit earlier next time.