The Q&A Archives: Yellow Leaves On Tomato Transplants

Question: I recently purchased some tomato plants which I have inside the house as frost is still around. I water them everyday and now some leaves are turning yellow. Is it because of too much watering? I keep them on a windowsill with sun exposure. Please advise what could be causing it and how I can stop it.

Answer: It could be due to overwatering, which can cause root loss by excluding oxygen from the roots. It may also be due to low light intensities although you indicate that they should be getting enough. A final cause could be a lack of nitrogen fertilizer.

As soon as you can, start taking them outdoors for the warm daytime hours. If they are root-bound, pot them up into a larger container so they can keep growing.