The Q&A Archives: Convolvulus

Question: I purchased a packet of Burpee Convolvulus "Blue Enchantment" seeds because the flowers looked intriguing. Now I am thinking they may be the answer to one of my big garden questions this year. I am looking for a plant to put in a hanging basket that will trail flowers over the edges of the basket and that can survive dry soil. Does Convolvulus do this?

Answer: Convolvulus is a vining, twiny plant, rather than a trailing plant. It won't cascade down as it grows, but will insist upon climbing up the supports of your hanging baskets. You might try some of the succulents, like 'Donkey's Tail, for your sunny, dry hanging planter, or Kennilworth Ivy, Creeping Charlie or Creeping Phlox. None of these plants will provide the large trumpet-shaped blooms of Convolvulus, but they will each be attractive in their own way, will thrive in full sunshine and dry soil, and will cascade over the sides of your hanging baskets.