The Q&A Archives: Mulching/Bulb blooming

Question: I do not remember where all of my bulbs are planted throughout my yard. I want to mulch the property. Will bulbs (such as tulips) grow right up through organic mulch (such as wood chips) when it is time for them to bloom? Or, do I need to wait for them to bloom and then mulch around the flowers?

Answer: Bulbs will come up through a few inches of organic mulch just fine, although it is not a good idea to pile it on top of them if they are already up. Ideally, you would maintain a fairly steady layer of mulch year round, perhaps topping it up in late fall and again in late spring when most plants have reemerged. Be careful not to cover and possibly smother the crowns of dormant plants if you go ahead and mulch now.