The Q&A Archives: Planting on Lakefront Greenbelt

Question: I have 150 ft frontage on a lake, facing west. I would like to enhance the "green belt" along the lake front and keep soil from eroding with out losing the view of my lake. Is there a shrub or ground cover that would stop erosion? My yard is shaded on the Northwest side by 9 oak trees, but there is little afternoon shade on the southwest side (lakeshore runs north to south).

Answer: In my experience, plants like Red Osier Dogwood and Meadowsweet are ideal erosion control plants that also provide color and structure to a setting. Sedges and dwarf evergreens are other options. I can steer you towards a source for plant material -- Prairie Moon Nursery. They specialize in native plants, and have expertise helping gardeners choose the correct plants for various habitats. Contact them at ph# 507/452-1362, or e-mail Another option is to contact your state's native plant society for suggestions: The Michigan Botanical Club, 7951 Walnut Ave., Newaygo, MI 49337, ph# 616/652-2036.