The Q&A Archives: Trees for Wet Areas in Zone 3 (MI)

Question: I have a lakefront home that is hemmed in between 5,000 acres of swamp and of course the lake. I have an area of standing water approximately 70' x 100' on my lot that I cannot fill, by law. Is there any particular type of tree that I can plant in that area after the water has gone below ground in August that will thrive when water levels rise again in the fall. Also is there any type of flowering plant or shrub that I can introduce around the perimeter? The water only receeds to about 1 to 3 feetbelow ground level in August in the majority of the area and the lighting is partial to shade. The property is in northern Michigan on the border of zones 3

Answer: Your best bet for a trees growing in that wet area are silver maples, willow and poplar. For flowering plants around the perimeter try siberian iris, marsh marigolds, lobelia, monarda and filipendula. Check out your local garden center for other ideas that will fit your wet site.