The Q&A Archives: Spring to Fall Flowers

Question: I'd like to have flowers in bloom as much as possible from spring through fall. I'm in Pittsburgh, PA, & have some sun. I know tulips are 1st. What would be next, and after that, etc?

Answer: The best way to have flowers in bloom all season is to grow annuals such as sweet alyssum, petunias, marigolds, zinnias, cosmos, sunflowers, salvia, snapdragons, and so on. They will begin in late spring and go on until frost in the fall. If you would prefer to try perennials, you will have to experiment a bit to achieve continuous bloom, perhaps adding in some annuals to fill in when the perennials are out of bloom. Some long blooming perennials for sun, running from earlier to later bloom, might include crocus, daffodils, tulips, Siberian iris, German bearded iris, yarrow, veronica, daylilies, bulb lilies, purple cone flower, salvia, border phlox, rudbeckia, bee balm, and asters. Perennials will bloom in only an approximate sequence depending on the weather and their microclimate as well as their age and overall vigor, so it is hard to give you a specific sequence. Good luck with your flower garden!