The Q&A Archives: Amaryllis

Question: This year I started growing some Amaryllis that have been in the family for quite some time. They produced some beautiful flowers, but I'm not quite sure how to care for them after the bloom fades

Answer: You can keep Amaryllis blooming year after year by following these basic care guidelines: Amaryllis bulbs grow best in bright light at temperatures of 60F - 70F. Plant so only one-half of the bulb is buried in the soil. The flower stalk will emerge first, followed by two or more leaves. After flowering cut off the stalk but allow the leaves to remain. Keep the soil moist, but not soggy. In the spring place the pot outdoors in a shady place. In late summer the leaves will yellow and die. Stop watering, bring the potted plant indoors, and allow it to rest in a cool, dry place for about three months. By the first of December, repot and bring it into a brightly lit room. Begin watering again and a new flower stalk and new leaves will emerge from the bulb. In the springtime, take it outdoors again to repeat the process.