The Q&A Archives: Clematis

Question: I recently bought a Canadian-Grown Clematis plant at a flower show. Since I am unable to plant it for another month, what is the best way to care for this plant until planting time?

Answer: If you can't plant your Clematis in the spring, why not leave it in the pot until the cooler months of autumn? The roots of the Clematis need to be kept cool, so if you can't sink the pot into the ground, be sure to surround it with soil or mulch, or some other insulating material. Water your Clematis whenever the top of the soil dries out. Plants in pots often need to be watered every few days during the hottest part of summer. Don't fertilize or the plant will quickly outgrow its pot. If you can't plant your Clematis by the end of April, you can help it avoid transplant shock by waiting until the fall months to plant, when the weather is cooler.