The Q&A Archives: Care of Basket of Gold

Question: I planted Basket of Gold in my garden two years ago. It is beautiful in the spring and makes a beautiful border plant. However the branches have grown in length and are no longer manageable. How do you care for this plant so that it does not grow so spidery but fills out. Is it possible to cut back the long shoots and if so when, after they bloom or early in the fall.

Answer: Basket of Gold is Aurinia saxatilis (sometimes classified as Alyssum saxatilis). Either way, your plant is a sun loving perennial with gray leaves and stems growing 8"-12" long. The plant develops clusters of tiny golden yellow flowers in the spring and early summer. You can pinch the stems back after flowering to encourage a compact habit.