The Q&A Archives: Small Flower Bulbs

Question: I would like to know what small flower bulbs are available for a window garden. Pots are 4-6 inches in diameter.
I would prefer summer blooming bulbs.

Answer: I am assuming these are for an outdoor window box -- for a shady spot you might try caladium or tuberous begonias, one to a pot. For a sunny window box you might try sprekelia or perhaps just a few tuberoses per pot. Scarborough Lily would be another possibility. Your pots are a bit on the small side, but you might also have luck with the dwarf oriental lilies. Another excellent performer as a pot plant is the calla lily which is planted one to a six inch pot. You may need to rotate the pots as the bulbs come in and out of bloom, so you might also consider adding a few pots of annuals to fill in with if there are any gaps in the sequence.