The Q&A Archives: Native Flowers/ Eagle Scout project

Question: My name is Greg Johnson and I need to do a Eagle Scout project. I went to our local park which is South Park and talked with the naturalist and he said there is a great need to bring back native flowers within the park some of which are Eastern Columbine, Riverbank Wild Rye, Ox-Sunflower, Black-eyed Susan, Brown-eyed Susan, New England Aster, Heath Aster, Turk's Cap Lilly, Fox Sedge, Blue Vervain, Partridge Pea. Do you think it is realistic for me to grow any or some of these and when they get to be sizable, plant them in the park. Do you know where I can get the seeds for these plants.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance.

Answer: I have a few sources that may be of help to you. I think it's a great project! One thing to think about is that many of these seeds have long germination times, and some need chilling before they will sprout. (Think of how native plants might have adapted to your long winters.) You'll want to research each plant's needs so you'll know what to do and to expect.

Prairie Moon Nursery web site:, ph# 507-452-1362
New England Wildflower Society, 180 Hemenway Rd., Framingham, MA 01701

You can also contact the Pennsylvania Native Plant Society, PO Box 281, State College, PA 16802, ph# 814-234-4779.

Good luck on your interesting project!