The Q&A Archives: Deterring Squirrels from Gardens

Question: How can I keep the squirrels from eating my sweet corn this year? Trapping and removing them is out of the question. Our neighborhood has dozens of them. They also eat all of the peaches from my peach tree every year, before we even get any. It is definitely squirrels we are dealing with. They are very bold and do it right in front of you. You can chase them, but they come back as soon as you walk away. Sheri Smith Pasadena, MD

Answer: Squirrels can be such pests! You can try repellents such as cayenne pepper spray, moth balls, Hinder, Ropel.... but all these need to be reapplied to be effective. For your peaches, try putting a squireel baffle around the base of the tree to prevent them from climbing and prune off other branches of surrounding trees so they won't jump onto your tree. A fence may be the only deterent for your corn too. A fine mesh may discourage them from eating your corn for lunch. Some gardener have had success setting up alternate feeding stations away from the garden to lure the squirrels away. Start the station a week before the peaches or corn are eady to eat and maybe that will distract them. Short of a good cat, I can't think of anything else.