The Q&A Archives: Water Garden

Question: The house that my husband and I bought has a pond. Right now it seems to be in pretty bad shape (the pond hasn't been cared for in about a year. We have no idea how to care for a water garden. We think it would be nice to keep it, but we don't know how to keep it clean, care for plants etc. It is about 150'from the house, so it will be pretty hard to plug in a pump. Any suggestions would be great!

Answer: There are solar-powered pond pumps on the market, but be sure to find out how much sun they require to do a good job. Some pond habitats do not require extra aeration, but if your pond is lined with a rubber liner, it's highly recommended.

Since water gardening is new to you, pace yourself. Read some books and check out some websites for information. Here are our recommendations:
Check out Pete's Pond Page at
and Northern Pond at
There's also a great USENET group for your water gardening questions:

Books: Waterscaping, by Judy Glattstein (Storey Publishing, 1994); Water Gardens, by Peter Stadelmann (Barron's, 1992); The Pond Doctor, by Helen Nash (Sterling, 1995). Have fun!