The Q&A Archives: No Fuss Bushes and Flowers

Question: I just moved in to Stonecreek Village, a retirement village
its on a golf course, I would like to plant something neat and carefree, in keeping with the sleek theme of the golf course, but beautiful and eyecatching. I have underground sprinkler system. I am 80 yrs. old and alone. I tire easily.

Answer: Welcome to your new home! Here are some low-maintenance plant suggestions: butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii) needs good drainage and enough moisture to grow well. To keep it looking good year to year, have it cut it back to 3' tall in early spring. Reblooming iris varieties will reward you with bloom all summer long. Yarrow (Achillea) is perennial and comes in a wide array of colors. Coreopsis is another perennial repeat bloomer. Cut the plants back in the fall when flowering ceases. Low growing hydrangea 'Annabelle' (H. arborescens) blooms all summer long, too. Just cut back the stems that have flowered when the blooms are spent, and new stems will grow to bloom in their place.

For more suggestions, speak with your area Master Gardeners at 970/874-2195. They may have volunteers to help you plant and maintain your shrubs as well. Hope this helps! Enjoy!