The Q&A Archives: Cilantro and Arugula from Seed

Question: When is the best time to plant cilantro and arugula from seed in Central Alabama? And also, how can I keep birds from nesting in my Bouganvillia? I have a bird phobia. Should I work on the phobia and let the birds live in peace in my Bouganvillia, or should I kill the little sap suckers?

Answer: Sow your seeds of arugula and cilantro in earliest fall, while the ground is still warm but the air temps have dropped (not to freezing, mind you). You can even try a spring crop, next year, if you think you have 60 days of temps under 80 after your last frost. I'm not a therapist, so I can't help you with your phobia but there is another alternative besides killing the little sap suckers . Try a plastic owl or snake in the vine, or tie up some brightly colored flags (strips of cloth) that will flap in the breeze.