The Q&A Archives: Research on Effects of Children's Gardening

Question: I am starting a learning garden for our school and want to know where I could find research on childrens gardening philosophy and the personal impact it could have on the developmental growth of children. M. Montani Liverpool, NY

Answer: It's great that you're starting a garden at your school. We know from our observations that gardens encourage creative thinking and multidisciplinary learning in children of all ages. Reference materials which support this idea include back issuesof National Gardening Association's Growing Ideas newsletter, especially the Spring 1991, January 1992, and April 1992 issues. And the Growing Ideas catalog contains various books, curricula, and supplemental materials for gardening classrooms. Theseare available by calling 1-800-538-7476. (Back issues of Growing Ideas cost $2.50 each.) You might also try calling the LifeLab Science Program. They may have some further resources for you. Their number is 408/459-2001.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"