The Q&A Archives: Fertilizing Strawberries

Question: I started a new strawberry bed last April. At that time I put on super phosphate and in late June and late August applied 5-10-10. I nipped the buds during the year so that it did not produce. Should I put any fertilizer on them this spring?

Answer: Sounds like you're doing everything in just the right sequence. You didn't say what types of strawberries you're growing, so here's some general information: It's important to fertilize June bearers in late summer to promote maximum fall growth and flower bud formation. (Spring fertilization results in excessive foliage and runners, and less fruit growth.) Everbearers can be fertilized with small amounts of 5-10-10 several times early in the season to promote constant flowering and fruit formation. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!