The Q&A Archives: Stealing My Figs

Question: I have a very nice fig tree in my backyard that bears a lot of fruit but by the time they ripen they are all gone. I suspect that the culprits are squirrels. The few that I tasted is delicious so there is no problem with the tree. I dont know what to do. Please help me.

Answer: How frustrating! Are you sure the culprit is four-footed? Some gardeners report success using homemade pepper and/or garlic based or commercially marketed repellent sprays to deter squirrels and other animals. Others report success with a resident pet cat or dog's ability to deter them. In my experience, though, a home-made wire mesh cage for the plant is the most effective solution although it is not particularly attractive. Good luck with your figs!