The Q&A Archives: Grape Vine Diseases

Question: My grape vine produces a lot of leaves but the leaves have bumps on them like as if they have a disease. The fruit is okay but never ripens. The bark of the vine looks like it is very dry. Should I replant another vine or is there a solution without destroying the vine?

Answer: To be honest, it seems to me that the bare vines always look pretty unpromising by mid winter and early spring -- so I'm not sure if what you are describing is a problem or not. Grapes are subject to any number of folaige and fruit diseases and problems, so you might wish to consult with your County Extension about the most prevalent problems in your locale, as well as the recommended care regimen (and recommended varieties) for grapes in your local area. Their telephone number is 566-0673.