The Q&A Archives: Swiss Chard

Question: I can not find Swiss Chard seeds anywhere. My grandma has been to every nursery in a 50 mile radius. Iis there a reason for this that you know about that all these nurseries don't know? It's almost time to plant and time is running out.

Answer: Swiss Chard is one of those cool-season vegetables that grows best in the very early spring so it will mature before the weather gets hot, or in the late summer so it can mature in the cool autumn days. It's not as popular as some of the other vegetables, which may explain why the seeds are difficult to find on the racks. Seed packets for tomatoes, peppers, carrots and lettuce are undoubtedly taking up the seed rack space in the places you've looked. Burpee's catalog carries 'Bright Lights', 'Fordhook', and 'Burpee's Rhubarb Chard'. You can order online at http://www.burpee.com or phone toll free (800) 888-1447 to order seeds.

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Agave"