The Q&A Archives: Peppers in Sandy Soil

Question: Are there any special provisions for growing peppers in sandy soil? I plan to start seeds indoors shortly. I'm attempting to grow a variety of both hot and sweet peppers.

Answer: Sandy soil in and of itself is not a bad thing, but peppers do appreciate an evenly moist and yet well drained soil. Sandy soil benefits from the addition of copious amounts of organic matter such as compost or well rotted manure and stable bedding or chopped leaves and so on. The organic matter will improve the soil structure and improve its moisture holding capability. You should probably also run some basic soil tests to see what else your soil might lack (or have in abundance) in terms of growing peppers (the tests will help with regard to other veggies, lawn and so on also). Your County Extension (349-1247) should be able to help you with the tests and with interpreting the results.