The Q&A Archives: Tips on Setting out Cauliflower Seedlings

Question: I have read conflicting information on cauliflower and am confused about when to set out my seedlings. Should they have a small bud or not. One source said they won't form heads unless the seedlings have it and the other says they won't form heads ifthe seedlings do. Please help. Marti Canonsburg, PA

Answer: Sucessful cauliflower growing is more a function of when outside growing conditions are optimal than the age of the seedlings. Seedlings should be placed outside about one week before the time of the final frost and monitered to ensure continual growing. Cauliflower doesn't like to have it's roots disturbed: you should plant seeds in peat pots that can be planted directly outside. Make sure they have constant moisture, are mulched with 6" layer of hay and hope for constant cool temperatures.