The Q&A Archives: Thinning Seedlings

Question: What is the proper time to begin thinning seedlings? What is the best way to go about this? Clipping at soil level? If your answer includes something about two *true* leaves, what does that mean? I see leaves, but they are the first ones to appear sodoes that mean these are not the first true leaves? Should I wait before thinning the seedlings? Thanks for your patience. Sara McDonald Atlanta, GA

Answer: The "true leaves" are generally the second set of leaves that a new plant produces and look like the adult leaves. After the second set of leaves are produced is the time to start thinning. You can usually identify a plant by it's second set of leaves. This helps you to distinguish between the weeds and what you have planted. Clipping at ground level is the preferred way to thin.