The Q&A Archives: Parrot Plant

Question: I have a friend that bought a 'Parrot Plant' at a swap meet. I can't find information on this plant in any of the books I have. Help!

Answer: Your plant is probably Clianthus puniceus, also known as Parrot's Beak. It's native to New Zealand and is vine-like, growing to about 12'. The leaves are dark green and divided into many narrow leaflets. The plant blooms in June, in rose, scarlet, pink and white sweetpea type flowers. The flowers look like parrot beaks. Clianthus is an evergreen plant and the vines will need support. When plants are small they are happy in hanging baskets. Larger plants should be given a trellis to climb on. If you're growing your Parrot's Beak outdoors, provide afternoon shade and lots of water during the growing season. Indoor plants need bright light and moist soil.